It is done, my lovely bias-cut summer top is finished! I can't believe how quickly it came together.
I already blogged about the process of making this here. So I'll try not to repeat myself.
I attached the bias strips at the armholes and the neckline. Because there were some wavy pin tucks that distorted the bias strips, I ended up ripping them out to try and make the strips lie flat. Then trimmed to the right width a second time. Even with plenty of water and steam it wasn't that easy to stop the former tucks from puckering up. But it went well enough.
I had no idea that the bias strips get sewn onto the edge laid double, so you stitch through three layers of fabric (that was an Aha! moment) and then, after trimming, the whole doubled roll where its edge ends with the closed lengthwise fold - the whole thing gets folded inside the garment. I had always assumed that you still see it above the top stitching line on the outside, but no: the fabric you can see on the outside is still the same front or back piece you originally cut out. And nothing added. What a revelation!
I feel that the hem was the part that went the least well. I didn't attach bias strips: I machine basted this 5-6mm from the edge (about a quarter inch), folded over at that line and pressed with lots of water. Then still quite moist I folded this pressed strip over again to hide the raw edges and encase them, pressed some more, and then sewed this up.
The machine pushes the top layer of fabric ahead and creates these puckers. I will figure out the dual feed function and see how much this improves things. Wish me luck!
I am so pleased with this. It looks lovely. Really pretty too. Can't wait for summer.