Saturday, 31 December 2011
Seeing as I blogged about Dad's Christmas present, here is Mum's too (now that she's got it and I can't spoil the surprise by posting about it on here too soon).
This was ably modelled by my friend Pam. Thank you!
Here's a bit more of a close up:
I thought I did well on the size. I had to guesstimate and thought that at six repeats it wouldn't remain too small. Yeah right! I had no idea that blocking would get it to this size:
I wanted a pattern with some stocking stitch in it and not just all-over lace. This is beautiful. It is from a Finnish pattern that thankfully had charts. So, how difficult can it be?
Well, the chart symbols were just fine. But it turned out that I couldn't make head or tail of a sort of wheat sheaf symbol and had to improvise. I still have the correct amount of stitches, so this 'own version' of mine isn't a problem. I would have liked to get it closer to the original though because this stitch would have added a slight gather or butterfly shape to the top of the rounded bit of the motifs.
Still, it seems well enough!
The colours in the above pictures are a touch too sugary pink. There is a light purple/lilac and a soft pink in this. The following pictures don't show the right shades either - but here it goes, just to show what it looked like unblocked.
A bit of a close-up:
And while it was very much a work in progress:
The yarn is by Krafty Koala and I got it from Knit Nation in summer 2011. I loved the colours, I quite rightly thought my Mum would too, but I didn't take into account that this is a gossamer lace weight. Whoops!
Turned out well though, thankfully!